PLEASE share this information with Public Image chairs within your districts, especially the videos at the end.
Summary of new poliovirus cases and positive environmental samples:
Pakistan: five WPV1 positive environmental sample
Central African Republic: one cVDPV2 case
Chad: four cVDPV2 cases
DR Congo: six positive environmental sample
Nigeria: one cVDPV2 positive environmental samples
Yemen: one cVDPV2 case
- No wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case was reported this week. There have been five WPV1 cases reported this year all from Nangarhar province.
- Nangarhar was covered during the recent subnational immunization days (SNIDs) in May and July, as part of intensified efforts to interrupt persistent local WPV1 transmission in the area.
- No WPV1 case was reported this week
- There have been two WPV1 cases reported this year.
- Five WPV1 positive environmental sample was reported, in Kyber Pakhtunkhwa, Sindh, and Punjab.
- There have been 22 WPV1 positive environmental samples reported in the country this year.
Officially reported WPV1 and cVDPV cases as of September 12, 2023:
Wild poliovirus (WPV)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2023: 7 (compared with 23 for the same period in 2022)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2022: 30
Circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) cases
Total global cVDPV cases in 2023: 245 (compared with 332 for the same period in 2022)
Total global cVDPV cases in 2022: 871
Most recently reported WPV1 case: July 11, 2023, in Pakistan
But wait! There’s more!
World Polio Day ResourcesOn 24 October Rotary International and partners will celebrate World Polio Day.To help you organize your World Polio Day event, use these tools to share themessage we can and we will end polio for good: https://www.endpolio.org/world-polio-day-resources.Join the MAKE POLIO HISTORY CAMPAIGNThe Global Polio Eradication Initiative launched a digital campaign, Make Polio History, to rally new and current champions to create a chorus of support for polio eradication. Through short, self-recorded videos, supporters worldwide will raise their voices and tell global leaders that eradicating polio is possible and urgently needed now. Join us here!Additional Resources
(Videos provided by the leadership in Zones 26-27 and EXCELLENT for sharing with local TV stations and on social media)
30 second Female English: https://vimeo.com/863283520?share=copy30 second Male English: https://vimeo.com/863283433?share=copy30 second Male Spanish: https://vimeo.com/863283337?share=copy60 second Male English: https://vimeo.com/863283209?share=copy