Summary of new poliovirus cases and positive environmental samples:
Pakistan: one WPV1 case and two WPV1 environmental sample
Burkina Faso: one cVDPV2 case
Chad: Five cVDPV2 cases and two environmental samples
DR Congo: one cVDPV2 environmental sample
Madagascar: 10 cVDPV1 environmental samples
- No wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case was reported this week. There have been five WPV1 cases reported this year all from Nangarhar province.
- Nangarhar was covered during the recent subnational immunization days (SNIDs) in May and July, as part of intensified efforts to interrupt persistent local WPV1 transmission in the area.
- One WPV1 case was reported this week in the southern area of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, making it the second case this year.
- Two WPV1 positive environmental samples were reported: one each in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab.
- There have been 15 WPV1 environmental samples reported in the country this year.
Officially reported WPV1 and cVDPV cases as of July 25, 2023:
Wild poliovirus (WPV)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2023: 7 (compared with 19 or the same period in 2022)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2022: 30
Circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) cases
Total global cVDPV cases in 2023: 191 (compared with 222 for the same period in 2022)
Total global cVDPV cases in 2022: 870