Summary of new poliovirus cases and positive environmental samples:
Pakistan: one WPV1 positive environmental sample
DR Congo: one cVDPV1 case, three cVDPV2 cases and one cVDPV2 positive environmental sample
Kenya: one cVDPV2 case
Nigeria: five cVDPV2 positive environmental samples
- No wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case was reported this week. There have been five WPV1 cases reported this year all from Nangarhar province.
- One WPV1 positive environmental sample was reported in Nangarhar.
- Nangarhar was covered during the recent subnational immunization days (SNIDs) in May and July, as part of intensified efforts to interrupt persistent local WPV1 transmission in the area.
- No WPV1 case was reported this week
- There have been two WPV1 cases reported this year.
- There have been 15 WPV1 environmental samples reported in the country this year.
Officially reported WPV1 and cVDPV cases as of August 22, 2023:
Wild poliovirus (WPV)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2023: 7 (compared with 20 or the same period in 2022)
Total global WPV1 cases in 2022: 30
Circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) cases
Total global cVDPV cases in 2023: 2058 (compared with 245 for the same period in 2022)
Total global cVDPV cases in 2022: 871
Most recently reported WPV1 case: July 11, 2023, in Pakistan